Monday, April 19, 2010

Phase 1: Knowledge is Power

Starting out I knew nothing of making alcohol or brewing of any kind. I also don't have any grandparent or older brother or friend that I knew of who had ever done it before. So I turned to the fountain of knowledge that is the internet. I have always liked Expert Village (now eHow, which sounds rather Asian to me) because they have a lot of experts in various fields demonstrate their techniques in video series (however the order of the videos in the series is difficult to figure out since they don't number them). I found a video series by a fella named Mark Emiley. He's pretty good and has done a lot of home brewing. His videos are kind of funny in that homemade video kind of way but very informative, and he adds his own tips. The other thing I like about his video series is that he explains the background knowledge about the beer he's demonstrating as well as the idea and reasoning behind each step and why to or not to do various techniques. His videos are also complete, which is just what I was looking for as a beginner. He doesn't assume you understand a process or forget a step simply because he finds it second nature. I started with a series for brewing Blonde Beer, as this seemed likely to be the easiest and least finicky to do as my first batch. If you watch these please not that there is a transcript of the video at the bottom of the page. It took me a while of pausing and rewinding the video to write down crucial steps before I realized this. The videos (in order) are listed below, you can also navigate the videos in this series with the bar underneath of the video.











No comments:

Post a Comment